Arch of San Miguel and Stone Crosses

On the outskirts of Sasamón, like a huge door opened to nature, you can see the arc of San Miguel. They are the only remains of the village and church of San Miguel de Mazarreros.

General Information:

Town: 
Sasamón
Arch of San Miguel and Stone Crosses
Arch of San Miguel and Stone Crosses
Arch of San Miguel and Stone Crosses
Arch of San Miguel and Stone Crosses
Arch of San Miguel and Stone Crosses
Arch of San Miguel and Stone Crosses
Town: Sasamón

Descripción

Next to the road that goes to the village of Sotresgudo, on the outskirts of Sasamón, a beautiful lancet arch is situated in the middle of a grain field. It’s the only remain of the church and village of San Miguel de Mazarreros or Mazariegos, which disappeared in the fifteenth century when San Miguel became part of the village of Sasamón.

This church was part of a Benedictine monastery whose name appears for the first time in a document dated in 1068. Six archivolts and capitals form the arc, with a decoration not very well preserved because the columns that supported them have disappeared. On the other side of the road, three stone crosses are still standing.

Touristic Services

Olmillos de Sasamón (Sasamón)
Melgar de Fernamental

Art and Culture

Villaute (Villadiego)
Melgar de Fernamental
Melgar de Fernamental